May 11, 2022
In this month of Mary we endeavor to love our Blessed Mother more and to know her better. With this in mind, I am offering 3 sessions of Marian Apologetics. “Apologetics” is understanding, explaining and even defending Catholic doctrine—in this case of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Investing is this effort helps us better understand our Faith as a coherent whole and Mary’s God-given role in salvation history and especially in our times. These 3 sessions will be held in St. Hugo’s parish hall from 10:00 am-11:30 am on the following Saturdays: May 14, 21 and June 18. (Unlike previously advertised, a fourth session will NOT be held on June 25 since we will have Mass for the Feast of the Immaculate Heart of Mary.) Our textbook will be Beginning Apologetics 6: How to Explain and Defend Mary (San Juan Catholic Seminars) by Father Frank Chacon & Jim Burnham. We will have 30 copies available for $10 each. The half-sheet flier is HERE.
Please also respond to A CALL TO PRAYER AND FASTING THIS FRIDAY: In response to the leak of a draft opinion in the U.S. Supreme Court case of Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, some abortion advocates are calling for nationwide demonstrations, disruptions of church services, and the personal intimidation of specific Supreme Court justices. Archbishop José H. Gomez of Los Angeles, president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) and Archbishop William E. Lori of Baltimore, chairman of the USCCB’s Committee on Pro-Life Activities said: “In the midst of current tensions, we invite Catholics around the country to join us in fasting and praying the Rosary on Friday, May 13, the Memorial of Our Lady of Fatima. Let us offer our prayers and fasting for these intentions:
- For our nation, for the integrity of our judicial system, and that all branches of government be dedicated to seeking the common good and protecting the dignity and rights of the human person, from conception to natural death.
- For the overturning of Roe v. Wade and Planned Parenthood v. Casey in the Supreme Court’s final decision in Dobbs v. Jackson.
- For the conversion of the hearts and minds of those who advocate for abortion.
- For a new commitment to building an America where children are welcomed, cherished, and cared for; where mothers and fathers are encouraged and strengthened; and where marriage and the family are recognized and supported as the true foundations of a healthy and flourishing society.
- For Our Blessed Mother’s intercession and guidance as the Church continues to walk with mothers and families in need, and continues to promote alternatives to abortion, and seeks to create a culture of life.
To communicate with me, email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or call/text me at (313) 727-9784. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us and especially for all our mothers—living and deceased.
In Jesus, Mary & Joseph,
Fr. Alex Kratz, OFM
Spiritual Director of Terra Sancta Ministries